Formal Email of Self Introduction

To: Brad Blackstone
From: Tan Shu Ling
Date: 22 January 2019
Subject: Self Introduction

Dear Mr Brad,

I am Shu Ling, the most petite student in your Wednesday afternoon Career and Professional Development II class. I am currently a second-year hospitality business undergraduate in Singapore Institute of Technology. Prior to my degree studies, I graduated with a diploma in tourism and resorts management in Singapore Polytechnic. 

I worked in the hospitality and protocol department at Experia Events Pte Ltd for my six months polytechnic internship. As I entered the company only in March 2016, I was tasked on the post-show reports of Singapore Airshow 2016, which ended on 21 February 2016. It was quite saddening as I did not receive any benefits from the event except for brushing up on my data and report writing skills. It would have been so fascinating to be at the event site as a staff! With the conclusion of Airshow 2016, I was then in-charge of Singapore International Water Week (SIWW) 2016, in which I had to manage the hospitality arrangement for the foreign delegates. Similar to the CPD module, my daily task was to write and reply to formal emails while leasing with the sales representative of Marina Bay Sands, the hotel provider of SIWW. I found it scary initially as I was afraid to make mistakes, especially when it was my first time liaising with an industry partner.

In the past, I would describe myself as a soft-spoken person who would rather be approached by others. However, I have learnt to be more courageous and pro-active when it comes to striking a conversation. The start is always the hardest but I realized that the other party might also be struggling to start the conversation. Another weakness would be speaking with clarity as I find it difficult to verbalize my thoughts into proper sentences. I am still working on this weakness as I try to communicate fluently with my family and friends.

On the other hand, I think that I am an active listener, which is essential for effective communication. Most of my close friends will always approach me whenever they require advice or a listening ear. However, due to my poor memory, I may forget the conversation after a period of time. That may be of a good thing as my friends can safely confide in me.

Last but not least, I hope that this module will allow me to grow as an individual. I aim to be a more confident speaker who will not hesitate for being afraid of making mistakes. I also hope that this module will provide me with the opportunity to learn more about myself and my classmates.

Thank you and I look forward to the upcoming classes for this trimester.

Best regards,
Shu Ling

(Revised on 18 February 2019)

Posts commented:
1. Nadiah
2. Shyartini

Comments

  1. Hi Shu Ling. It seems that we share some similarities. I find it hard to remember what was said in a conversation even though it was only a few minutes ago. However, I have been trying to find a solution for this problem. One way which I have found that works for me is to repeat what the person has said and ask for clarifications every now and then. If it is something really important, I would jot down some keywords onto a note. Perhaps this is something you could try in the future too. I hope it will work well for you as it did for me. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Afifah, thank you for providing me with the tip! I will attempt it the next time i communicate with others. Let's work hard to improve ourselves through this module. See you!

      Delete
  2. Hello Shu Ling!

    Singapore Airshow is an exciting event. Even though you were not there on-site during the event itself, you should still be proud as you had contributed to Asia's largest show. I agree with you when you mentioned that you are an active listener. It is something that I must definitely learn from you. I am looking forward to working with you this trimester. See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shyartini, thank you for reading my blog! I look forward to growing as an individual together with you through this module. See you!

      Delete
  3. Dear Shu Ling,

    Thank you for this highly-detailed and well-crafted letter. I can see that you have lots of experience not just in presenting yourself in a letter but in communicating your thoughts in writing. You do a fine job in this exercise by covering the scope of the assignment while giving interesting information.
    When you explained your disappointment with not working at th airshow, I could feel your pain. When you address your communication skills, you give vivid examples.

    There are a few minor language issues in this post, in terms punctuation and wording:
    1. punctuation
    -- I was tasked on the post-show reports of Singapore Airshow 2016 which ended on 21 February 2016. > (missing comma)
    -- I was then in-charge of Singapore International Water Week (SIWW) 2016 in which I had to manage the hospitality arrangement for the foreign delegates. > (missing comma)
    -- in me? > ?

    2. phrasing
    -- Similar to your module, my daily task was to write and reply formal emails to the sales representative of Marina Bay Sands, the hotel provider of SIWW. >
    Similar to in this module, my daily task was to write and reply to formal emails while liaising with the sales representative of Marina Bay Sands, the hotel provider of SIWW.
    -- I have learnt to be more courageous and initiative > I have learnt to be more courageous and ... forthcoming? assertive? proactive?
    -- whenever they require an advice or listening ear. > whenever they require advice or la istening ear.
    (advice is noncount, so it cannot take 'an'; ear is count, so it must have 'a,' 'the,' or plural)

    I look forward to reading more from you and gettng to know you better this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr Brad, thank you for pointing out my strengths and weaknesses. Please refer to below for my revised sentences:

      1. Punctuation
      - I was tasked on the post-show reports of Singapore Airshow 2016, which ended on 21 February 2016.
      - I was then in-charge of Singapore International Water Week (SIWW) 2016 , in which I had to manage the hospitality arrangement for the foreign delegates.
      - That may be of a good thing as my friends can safely share their secrets with me.

      2. Phrasing
      - Similar to the CPD module, my daily task was to write and reply to formal emails while liaising with the sales representative of Marina Bay Sands, the hotel provider of SIWW.
      - I have learnt to be more courageous and pro-active when it comes to striking a conversation.
      - whenever they require advice or a listening ear

      I look forward to improving on my language in this trimester. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. You're most welcome, Shu Ling.

      Enjoy your holiday!

      Brad

      Delete
  4. Hi Shu Ling, thank you for the detailed blog post about yourself! Similarly, I have also worked in an events management company for my polytechnic internship and on my gap year. I also had the problem of being afraid to send formal emails to corporate clients initially as I was afraid I might type something wrong. However, I learn to be brave and it's okay to make mistakes as long as we learn from it and not commit the same mistake again. I hope this helps you and we can learn together through this module!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pei Ling, thank you for sharing that you had faced a similar issue as me! I will learn from your tip and I believe we will further work on this weakness through experience of IWSP in the upcoming trimesters. See you in class!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts