FINAL CRITICAL REFLECTION

Module Learning
I started this module with the goal of knowing myself better and being a more confident speaker. The theories and in-class activities have shaped me to who I am today, an individual who has grown throughout this four months course of study.  The theory of Johari Window was useful for me to draw a connection between self-awareness, self-disclosure and the perception I have of others and the image they have of me. It has aided in my personal development when interacting with others. Also, identification of the 7Cs of effective communication has got me reflecting on the power of words in conveying messages. 

However, practise makes perfect. I think it is also important to continue practicing the theories taught in school in real life situations. I believe that the skills taught in class will be useful for our upcoming 8 months internship. Till the day I will not get nervous when presenting, I should take each presentation or speech delivery as a growing experience.  

Presentation Showcase
I enjoyed the first group's presentation showcase featuring Amanda, Charis, Eunice and Sandy. The presenters had good presentation skills. They had good pronunciation and clear clarity. Being confident, they did not portray themselves as nervous and used a good mixture of non-verbal communication. 

The comedy approach was used to bring out the essence of their case study video. It was a highly creative and impactful video. The service excellence concept was well portrayed. It was an engaging video that caught the attention of the audience. I also like how the presenters could smile while presenting, which I believe is still a challenge for most of us. 

Overall, I enjoyed all of the presentations. As Hospitality Business students, they have proven to the professors and external VIPs that we are experienced in presenting! 

However, I would like to comment that it is not ideal to place the showcase on the last week of school, when it is very near to exam weeks. Should the showcase date be shifted earlier, I believe it will impact positively on the total attendance figures as well as the presenting teams' quality of work. 

With that said, thank you Brad for all of your guidance this trimester. I have enjoyed attending your Wednesday lessons and i like how you tweak the learning profile to your style of teaching! 👍

Comments

  1. Thank you, Shu, for this detailed and comprehensive reflection. I'm happy to read that you have "grown throughout this four months course of study." It's also good that you realize that the learning and development must continue. It's a lifelong task, really.

    I'm also glad to get your feedback on the presentation showcase. There were some remarkable presentations that evening. (It is certainly the case that many students in HB are quite skilled at presenting.) I'm happy that some students could stay throughout. I take note that it might not be the most convenient week for students to do the showcase, especially for those who have to present. My question is this though: If we had had our regularly scheduled three-hour lesson, how might things have been different for the vast majority of students? They would still need to attend each lesson as classes don't end in Week 12. In any case, as we try to refine the curriculum for CPDII, I'll take your concern into consideration.

    I appreciate all your efforts this terms, Shu, especially considerng how busy you have been for another unnamed project. You've done very fine work on many fronts. Best wishes as you continue your learning/life journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts